Pages

Monday 19 March 2012

99 Reasons Why ( #99RW ) By Caroline Smailes

A New Concept In E-Publishing?

Ebooks are something that continues to split the book loving community with many people loving them, some hating, some having little opinion but many being very against them. It is indisputable that sales continue to rise so someone out there does dearly love them.

I have to put myself in the group that says as yet they have to prove themselves. I would stress that we do not normally accept ebooks because we don't have the technology to comfortably read them but having tried them on the technology we have we know that we are still waiting to say 'Yea or Nay'. However there have been some changes to the straight ebook recently although there has also been a greying of the border between ebooks and apps.

Going back about 20 years there were a series of books launched that were interactive adventures. The Famous Five were one such group where the reader had a dice, a 'backpack', several cards to represent picnics and 'equipment' such as compass and ruler. As the story progressed you were posed questions you could answer using your equipment or, if you didn't' have the right equipment you had to guess and risk losing a picnic. It surprised me that those books did not catch on more but, on reflection,  perhaps they were too intensive for their audience. Well, today, ebooks bring about the possibility of such stories once again.

99 Reasons Why is a story that brings back that concept using modern technology to the reader. The story is told in 'reasons' from a story teller's perspective and the at reason 88 you are asked to answer questions. Based on your answers you are taken to one of 9 different endings. That gives only 97 reasons though.... where's the other 2? Well that's easy to answer... The last ending is to be handwritten and auctioned for charity. The second to last ending is below here... but before you read it, perhaps it's best if you read the story and try the concept.

99 Reasons Why for Kindle    99 Reasons Why for iPad/iPhone

If you don't have an ereader then Kindle For PC is free from Amazon. If you have an iPad or iPhone then lucky you!

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO READ REASON 98 ALREADY THEN SCROLL ON.....









99: the reason why I was only worth ninety-nine quid
It’s been six days since the little girl in the pink coat went missing and me Uncle Phil’s in me bedroom.
We’ve been watching the little girl in the pink coat’s mam on the news. She was appealing to the public for witnesses.
‘Didn’t realise she had a mam,’ I says, looking at me telly.
‘Everyone’s got a mam, pet,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
‘She sold her story to The Sun,’ I says, looking at me telly.
‘Got a few quid,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
I nod.
‘She wanted nowt to do with that bairn before all this,’ me Uncle Phil says, looking at me telly.
‘Do you know where she is?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.
‘Belle?’ me Uncle Phil asks me.
I nod.
‘She’s safe,’ me Uncle Phil says to me. ‘Your mam’s keeping an eye on her.’
‘Can I be her mam?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.
‘No, pet, you’re a filthy whore,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
I nod.
‘Can you make Andy Douglas come back, Uncle Phil?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.
Me Uncle Phil shakes his head.
‘I love him,’ I tell me Uncle Phil.
‘Andy Douglas is your brother, pet. You didn’t seriously think Princess Di was your mam, did you?’ me Uncle Phil asks me.
I nod.
‘You’re a cradle snatcher just like your mam,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
I nod.
‘Your mam miscarried when she found out I’d been banging Betty Douglas. Betty was expecting you,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
I don’t speak.
‘When you was born, your mam went mad and I ended up buying you from Betty Douglas for ninety-nine quid,’ me Uncle Phil says.
‘Ninety-nine quid?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.
‘I paid a hundred but got a quid change for some chips for your mam and dad’s tea,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
‘You bought me?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.
I’m a little bit sick in me mouth.
‘It was the right thing to do,’ me Uncle Phil says to me. ‘I got Betty Douglas pregnant straight away with Andy.’
‘I’m pregnant,’ I says to me Uncle Phil. ‘I’m pregnant with me brother’s baby,’ I says, and then I throws up on me purple carpet.
‘You’re a filthy whore,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
‘What am I going to do?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.
‘You’re going to have the baby,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
‘Have me brother’s baby?’ I asks me Uncle Phil.
‘Then I’m giving it to Betty Douglas to bring up,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
‘You what?’ I says to me Uncle Phil.
‘It’s the right thing to do,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
‘I can’t—’ I says to me Uncle Phil.
‘It’s either that or I’ll make you disappear,’ me Uncle Phil says to me.
I don’t speak.
I’m thinking, they’re all a bunch of nutters.

No comments:

Post a Comment